Following is a list of items we suggest women bring as they enter Residential Treatment at Our Hope. Our experience suggests that the list is complete, but if you have any questions or would like to ask about items not included on the list, please call our office at 616-451-2039 or contact us on-line.
Suggested items to bring …
- Comfortable clothing for Michigan weather over a 90-day stay – Sometimes the ladies walk to a noon meeting and help with keeping the sidewalks/entrances clear of snow in winter, etc. Be mindful that you will be sharing a bedroom/closet when you are packing and space is limited to a dresser and shared closet and Our Hope doesn’t have additional storage space. Please bring hangers for anything you want to hang.
- Workout clothing/tennis shoes, bathing suit – We have a membership to YMCA and go a few times a week. The ladies swim, sit in the hot tub, walk the track, etc. and we have yoga on site weekly.
- Laundry detergent, dryer sheets, and a roll of quarters – We have a coin operated washer/dryer on site - $2.50 per one load to wash and dry.
Hygiene products – Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, feminine hygiene products, etc. No products containing alcohol are permitted i.e. hand sanitizer, mouthwash with alcohol content, etc. Travel size will be allowed; (Can bring in empty travel size container if bringing in large bottles of products. (Aerosols, perfumes, nail polish remover, etc. can be used but are kept in staff office).
- Alarm clock – Everyone is expected to be dressed and ready and checked in by 7:00am to start the day.
- Stamps, envelopes, stationary, pens, pencils – For letter writing, journaling, etc.
- Bath linen – Everyone is expected to bring a towel and washcloth
- Our Hope provides bedding–A pillow is provided, but it’s ok if you prefer to bring in your own as well.
- Prescribed medications (30-day supply and refills, particularly if client does not have a doctor in Kent County) – There are some prescribed meds that are not permitted at Our Hope so check with staff prior to intake about any that may be in question. Prescribed medications must come in their original containers.
- Over the Counter medications - Must be sealed coming in or they will be held until discharge. All over the counter medications will be locked up in staff office. Our Hope has approved over the counter medications available for a variety of needs (Ibuprofen, Tylenol, antacids, Pepto Bismal, Stool softener, Melatonin, Multivitamin and Vitamin C).
- Personal ID card/insurance card.
- Money –Our Hope has a small lock box to hold money, credit cards, etc. and we recommend not having large amounts of money on your person. Having cash available for laundry, coffee at off-site meetings, bus fare, med co-pays, etc. is recommended and can be locked in staff lock box.
- Headphones/iPod/MP3 – Approved as long as, it does not have internet capability (Not Wi-Fi Compatible) Our Hope is NOT responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Candy/chips/gum/snacks – Snacks are available at Our Hope, but if you would like to bring candy, chips, etc., it must be in a single serving size or you will be asked to share with the community. Sealed items only and nothing homemade. These snacks are to be kept in your personal drawer that you are assigned.
What NOT to bring…
- Cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, e-cigs…SMOKING IS NOT PERMITTED on Our Hope property or Our Hope scheduled outings. All items will be destroyed at intake. Smoking Cessation will be provided upon entering Our Hope if needed.
- Cameras, cell phones, pagers, computers, iPads, video recording devices.
- Weapons, scissors or any other sharp objects such as box cutters, etc.
- Drugs, narcotics, prescribed or not, are not allowed. Over-the-counter medications with broken seals or outdated will not be allowed and will be disposed of by staff.
- Revealing clothing such as low-cut, see-through tops, excessively tight/excessively loose clothing.
- Attire with slogans that may be offensive or inappropriate in a substance abuse treatment facility.
- Caffeinated products (such as coffee, pop, and energy drinks), hand sanitizer, or items containing alcohol will not be allowed.
- Valuables or valuable items such as jewelry or electronics as well as anything that holds value to you.